Friday 18 February 2011

Dexter Creator Jeff Lindsay Talks to Shearer's!


 Jeff Lindsay is coming to Australia! In anticipation of his trip, Jeff was kind enough to answer a few questions for us. We will be hosting a special event with him on Tuesday 8th March at 6pm. Click here for booking information.

Where does a character like Dexter Morgan come from and what research have you done to make him so believable?

The idea was inspired by watching a room full of Civic Boosters pretending to be happy to see each other, fake-smiling, talking with their mouths full – and the idea just popped into my head that serial murder doesn’t always have to be a bad thing....

I’ve read all the books on the subject I could find, and I talked to a lot of shrinks and cops, and at a certain point I think I just developed a feel for the character.
  
Can you give us a sense of your grounding in literature? What do you read and what are some of your best-loved books?

I have a degree in literature, and have read an awful lot of almost everything – compulsively sometimes.  I used to read a book a day, until I started writing.  Now I don’t have time.

What’s your view on the cast for the series Dexter and how does the show match up with the vision in your head?

I think the cast is absolutely top notch.  The first time I saw Michael in character, I knew he was IT.  He totally got it.

Things never match up the way you see them in your head, but it’s definitely my world up there on the tube.

What’s the most fun you’ve ever had writing?

I think I have to stick with Dorothy Parker on this one.  She said, “I loathe writing.  I love having written.”  It’s mostly less fun now that it’s a job, but sometimes I work on a new play, or a collection of really stupid poems I’m writing, and that gets me to giggle.
 
Because of the nature of the character, there is a lot of analysis of Dexter Morgan and his ethics. Do you pay attention to this analysis, and if so how does it affect your writing?

I do pay attention, because the ethical considerations are part of the reason I wrote the first book.  It is very interesting to me, but it doesn’t make me change anything I’m doing.

Can you give us any hints as to what’s next for Dexter Morgan?
I really think he needs a vacation.  I’ve been threatening to write DEXTER DOWN UNDER.  We’ll see if that happens....


Many thanks to Jeff for taking time out of his busy schedule to answer our questions! 



No comments:

Post a Comment