Thursday 21 July 2011

A Brief Chat With Paul Daley

Paul Daley is the author of two forthcoming titles, Armageddon, a unique literary and pictorial travelogue following in the footsteps of a fading Anzac trail, and Collingwood: A Love Story, the real story behind a legendary football myth. 

What was the last book you read and what are you currently reading?
 The last book I read was The Amateur Science Of Love by Craig Sherbourne. I am now reading Grand Days by Frank Moorehouse. 

Which book from your bookshelf at home is your most treasured and why?
My copies of the My Brother Jack trilogy, by George Johnston. He awakened me to the power of the internal monologue and sparked in me a desire to examine the less savoury aspects of Australian character. 

Who is your favourite fictional character?
In light of the above, this may come as no surprise. Johnston's David Meredith. Like Meredith I have long been torn between a desire to settle in Australia (which I have) and to run to other parts of the world. I admire Meredith for his honest appraisals of Australia's cultural, political and social shortcomings - no less relevant today than they were when Johnston channelled them fifty years ago.

What are you working on next?
I am working on a literary non-fiction book, Canberra, for the Writing Cities series for UNSWP. I am also writing a novel about politics for MUP, which has published my first three books.

No comments:

Post a Comment